Rice Stuffed Green Peppers
Price Break Down / Where We Shop
- Green Peppers: $4.49 at Stop & Shop
- Onion: $0.99 at Stop & Shop
- Celery: $2.79 at Stop & Shop
- Mushrooms: $2.00 on sale at Stop & Shop
- Walnuts: $5.39 at Stop & Shop
*We keep these in the house because they're expensive so when we use them in a recipe, we make sure to include them in other recipes during the next few weeks (i.e. waffles with walnuts, peanut butter & jelly wrap with walnuts, cookies with walnuts etc.)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese: $2.00 on sale at Stop & Shop
- Brown Rice: $2.49 at Stop & Shop
- Parmesan Cheese: $3.99 at Stop & Shop
- Total Cost: $24.14
serves: 4 people
- 4 Large Green Peppers
*We use green peppers rather than red or another color because they are the cheapest but you can use whatever color pepper you like!*
- Just under 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2/3 small onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper *We assume you already have salt and pepper doing any cooking*
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of the peppers. Remove the seeds & core.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and saute the chopped onion. Add the celery & mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Stir together the cooked brown rice, sauted onion, celery & mushroom, nuts, cheddar cheese, and salt. Stuff the peppers with this mixture.
- Put the stuffed peppers on a baking sheet and bake for 35-45 minutes.